This is the present of the day from Santa , if you have a AMD Radeon HD 6950 , this is a nice news for you cause now you can unlock the HD 6950 to reach the power of the flagship HD 6970 with a simple BIOS update according to a Wizzard from Techpowerup.
Look like AMD leave The Radeon HD 6950 unlocked because it can switch from 1408 to 1536 shaders and even reching the HD 6970 clocks speed , this BIOS upgrade can be applied on all available HD 6950 on the market until now , also AMD made it easier and safer with the dual-BIOS feature on its HD 6900 series cards and if something goes wrong you can always go for the factory protected BIOS.
The Download & instructions via TechPowerup!
- Grab ATI Winflash from here (32 & 64-bit).
- Download HD 6970 BIOS. The Sapphire one I linked to will work on all reference design cards from any vendor.
- Make sure the BIOS switch on the card is set to the 1 position (pictured further down if you don't know where it is).
- Run ATI Winflash, click Save to save your BIOS, so you have a backup in case something goes wrong.
- Load the HD 6970 BIOS into Winflash by clicking Load Image, followed by Program.
- Let the flashing process complete and reboot your system.
- Check the shader count using GPU-Z, it should show 1536. Make sure you use the linked version of GPU-Z, the official 0.4.9 version does not support HD 6900 Series properly. If you see a shader count of 1600, your GPU-Z version is outdated and you should get the one from the link here.
- To ensure maximized performance open Catalyst Control Center, go to the Overdrive tab and set the PowerTune slider to the +20% setting. The "Testing" section of this article has more data on that.
- Check stability in Windows desktop applications and games.